help - search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E3 - The thread: Summaries in posts 2, 3 and 4
fmforums > discussion forums > gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Mister R
QUOTE(phoenix87 @ Jun 7 2011, 18:13) *

They keep switching between saying new console, and new controller.

Yes they do.

Did I mention how poorly this has been rolled out?
phoenix87
Meh. Either way, it looks entirely underwhelming.
mikes
You could clearly see the console under the TV.

Graphics: stunning.
Name: crap.
phoenix87
It looked like a normal wii under the t.v
Mister R
First look at the console (which Nintendo didn't actually bother to show properly themselves)

http://kotaku.com/5809482/the-is-the-first...nsole-the-wii-u

QUOTE(mikes @ Jun 7 2011, 18:20) *

You could clearly see the console under the TV.

Graphics: stunning.
Name: crap.

Yes that 5 second long distance shot of a generic white console underneath a television whilst telling the viewer to focus on the controller was totally the way to introduce a new console...

They should have introduced the new console distinctly first and then revealed the new look controller specifically for it rather than the awkward not at all clear presentation they went with.
Astron
Looks more like an X-Box fallen over than a Wii to me.
I agree it was a bit confusing but maybe that was the point.
People will definitely be talking aout this.
What did Sony and MS show again? huh.gif
mikes
Oh do fuck off Mister R. Seriously. You're being incredibly whiney.

The whole point was it's about the new CONTROLLER not the box that plays the games.
Mister R
QUOTE(Astron @ Jun 7 2011, 18:26) *
What did Sony and MS show again? huh.gif

What did Nintendo show?

Seriously when people are leaving that conference unsure if they introduced a new console or a new controller something has gone wrong. And they showed basically no game footage of anything throughout that entire conference.
Astron
Sorry Mr.R but you're being unreasonable.
They got people talking and they will keep on talking till Nintendo comes out with something more specific.
Eat your heart out Simon Cowell.
Mister R
QUOTE(mikes @ Jun 7 2011, 18:27) *

Oh do fuck off Mister R. Seriously. You're being incredibly whiney.

The whole point was it's about the new CONTROLLER not the box that plays the games.

Oh my God someone criticised Nintendo! Oh no!

Seriously when youíre introducing a new controller for a NEW CONSOLE you need to introduce the new console first. Itís not rocket science. You introduce the new console and then you introduce the new controller. The focus can absolutely still be on the controller but first you have to introduce the fact that itís for a NEW CONSOLE.
Astron
QUOTE(Mister R @ Jun 7 2011, 18:31) *

Seriously when youíre introducing a new controller for a NEW CONSOLE you need to introduce the new console first.

Says who?
Mister R
QUOTE(Astron @ Jun 7 2011, 18:32) *

QUOTE(Mister R @ Jun 7 2011, 18:31) *

Seriously when you’re introducing a new controller for a NEW CONSOLE you need to introduce the new console first.

Says who?

Common sense.
Astron
Ever heard of "thinking outside the box"?
Mister R
Ever heard of giving a coherent press conference that clearly lays out exactly what it is you’re trying to sell to the consumer?

It takes five seconds to say - This is our new console the Wii U... and this is how you control it.

But instead Nintendo is simply too preoccupied pushing the gimmick to actually explain what the gimmick is for - We have to make sure everyone is talking about our controller...
phoenix87
That was an entirely underwhelming and confusing presentation of a brand new console. It wasn't even clear that it was a console. I am a fan of nintendo, but that didn't seem to show us anything new and exciting, other than a new clunky looking (touch screen may I add) controller. Yes you can play whole entire console made games on it rather than the big screen, which is undeniably very cool. But it doesn't look like there's anything new, these type of graphics already exsist, and it showed all the old wii accessories being used along side it which lead me to think it was just a tablet add-on for the wii.

Mister R
But didn't you see the five second long distance shot of a generic white console the new console in the background under a TV whilst they were showing off the new controller? You fool!
Astron
But it wasn't and they said multiple times that this is the controller for the Wii U so it's obviously not just a new device, they also said it when they explained how they got the name in case you forgot.
The 3rd party developers also said it.
Mister R
QUOTE(Astron @ Jun 7 2011, 18:48) *
But it wasn't and they said multiple times that this is the controller for the Wii U

Actually they didn't which is why everyone was so confused about what the hell it was. They rambled on about how they came up with the name Wii U and then revealed a controller.

And I can remember one maybe two third party developers saying console. Everyone however said new controller. New controller. New controller. Did we mention new controller. It obviously pains the Nintendo fanboys to say it but this was horribly rolled out.
phoenix87
They did yeah, but then they kept switching back between saying new console and new controller.

Astron
Yes probably because it is a new controller as in a whole new type of controler in general not just for a new console.
Mister R
For proof of how poorly the Wii U was launched we're (sort of) debating whether they launched a new console or not and not actually discussing anything about the console itself.
Uninvited
Oh well, at least Uncharted 3 exceeded expectations biggrin.gif
Mister R
QUOTE(Astron @ Jun 7 2011, 18:55) *

Yes probably because it is a new controller as in a whole new type of controler in general not just for a new console.

Which again is fine. You can make the new controller the focus but firstly you have to clearly introduce that its a new controller for a new console since presumably they'll be expecting people to fork over hundreds of pounds for the console and not the controller. Although...
phoenix87
QUOTE(Uninvited @ Jun 7 2011, 18:56) *

Oh well, at least Uncharted 3 exceeded expectations biggrin.gif

It did that biggrin.gif
Astron
QUOTE(Mister R @ Jun 7 2011, 18:55) *

For proof of how poorly the Wii U was launched we're (sort of) debating whether they launched a new console or not and not actually discussing anything about the console itself.

Yes and how long exactly did we talk about any other things shown on this E3?
Seems like all you talk about is the 3DS and the Wii U.
I think Nintendo owns your pretty little head. laugh.gif

MS: 0
Sony: 0
Nintendo: Win!
Mister R
We only stopped discussing the Vita because you and Mikes had Nintendo fanboy hissy fit (and the Nintendo conference started).
phoenix87
The only reason this is a raging debate is because nintendo fanboys can't take any form of criticism. If you look back at the Sony and MS it's all "that looks quite cool" and "that's rubbish" without any explosions of anger.
mikes
And that's me done for a year.

Summaries of the big 3 are up.

Watching all the hands on stuff now. The Wii-U controller is gorgeous up close.
Astron
Thanks Mike, well done as usual. thumbsup.gif
Jaylocutus
Loving the PS Vita with the OLED screen.
Uninvited
Far too much focus on gadgettey things for my liking. I don't know if I'm just old fashioned (at 26!!) or whatever but I don't want a 3D TV, motion controller or tablet-style gizmo. I just want good games to play on solid consoles. Luckily there were a fair few games which got me excited this year biggrin.gif
Corius
I like the Wii U controller but it hasn't done anything for me thinking it will be ridiculously pricey.

I wonder what the specs are on the screen? Is it AMOLED or just plain LCD, does it support HD resolution or will it downscale?

I don't like the look of the Wii U. It's like a fat Wii., but I do like the continuation of the Wii line through it.

Also is the controller wired or wireless? If it's wireless I'd imagine it would burn through the batteries with that screen constantly on sad.gif (I saw some piccies wired, some wireless)
mikes
SQUEE

Wii U HD Zelda Experience

Gorgeous.

Cannot stop watching.

Nintendo offered the following loose technical specifications to Kotaku in a pre-briefing on Nintendo's Wii U.

High definition display, up to 1080p resolution via HDMI output

6.2" touchscreen on New Controller, running in non-HD resolution

Internal flash-based media storage, upgradeable via USB and SD cards

Games ship on proprietary iDensity discs of unspecified, but "large capacity"

Games will also be available as downloadable content

Console compatible with Wii games and devices

Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year
Jonnycondom
Holy shit that does look awesome ^

Thanks for all these updates guys whilst I was at work (apart from the 14 year old fanboy bickering aside)

So overall,

I'm pretty damn impressed with the 3DS stuff, Luigi's Mansion 2, Mario 3d, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart, all looking good. Mario 3d didn't give me a boner as much as I would have liked (the graphical style looks weird to me, like they've purposefully enlarged everything for pre schoolers?), but come on, this is Nintendo, it's bound to be amazing.

I think the Wii U has amazing potential and I most likely will definitely get one. I think as long as they can get all the big named franchises on board such as the COD games for example, they've got a real winner on their hands here, especially if you can just carry on playing an online game on the small screen when you're lying in bed (Don't know if this is possible though, did they mention whether or not you can play online on the controller?)

It would have been amazing if they announced a game to go alongside the console launch so we got to see real potential of what can be done, but I guess this can wait.

They could have made the console itself a bit better looking too. Just seems a bit chunky and bland right now. Hopefully it's just a prototype or something.
Corius
A little bummed about the controller not doing HD.

Proprietary discs too.... that just seems so pointless. They should have stuck to DVD's or gone the whole hog and have Blu Ray.

I don't generally trust Tech Demos as real games rarely look as good as them.

Also I would have thought it was about time for a hard drive in the console, especially if we're getting into more complex games and the option of installing it to hard drive available on the other consoles.
Jonnycondom
Did they say when the Wii U is coming out?
mikes
Post #333 Dude.

1st April 2012 - 31st December 2012.
Astron
John it says a couple of posts upwards.
Jonnycondom
Plenty of time to save up for one then thumbsup.gif
Corius
It's a bit of a ridiculous launch window, just give us a date and stop being pussies.

Didn't notice but is there a sensor bar?
mikes
There doesn't seem to be one.

Also, it's apparently really comfy and lighter than an iPad.

Also on the base of it there appears to be the same contacts that the 3DS slots into in it's cradle to charge, so I wonder if there will be some kind of cradle with the Wii-U and the controller goes in there when not in use.
Corius
Wii U be buying one?

(Didcha see what I did there?!)
Mister R
QUOTE(mikes @ Jun 7 2011, 20:28) *
Release date between April 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012; or after the end of Nintendo's fiscal year

That is a comically broad release window and that’s without taking into account that ‘or the end of fiscal year’ could (I’m assuming) push it back to March 2013 so basically a 12 month window for release. I think however November/December 2012 seems like a pretty good bet for release doesn’t it…
mikes
Of course it does. $£YE. I think they just gave this date casually to the guys at Kotaku as they haven't officially announced a date window.

I'm probably going to get one for sure.
Mister R
QUOTE(mikes @ Jun 7 2011, 21:41) *

There doesn't seem to be one.

Also, it's apparently really comfy and lighter than an iPad.

Also on the base of it there appears to be the same contacts that the 3DS slots into in it's cradle to charge, so I wonder if there will be some kind of cradle with the Wii-U and the controller goes in there when not in use.

Just think if they'd done an actual console launch rather than 'here's our new controller' we might know some of these things. wink.gif
mikes
In the fabulous world of PR and Marketing I guess this is merely to whet our appetite I think, and then E3 2012 will most likely be a full on Wii-U showcase.
Corius
To be frank considering the buzz around that there's a new Nintendo console coming out for months now, I doubt people were really THAT confused about whether it was a controller release...
Jonnycondom
The timeline worries me a little bit. It seems pretty obvious to me that both Sony and Microsoft will be announcing their new consoles at next years e3 and once the third parties see what will no doubt be their amazing processing and graphical power, they might not see much point in carrying on with the Wii U.

Although you make a good point Mikes, Nintendo will hopefully show off some amazing games next year for it to guarantee some good sales.
mikes
I'm not so sure the leap will be all that much.

Plus with all the additions to Microsoft and Sony's library and multimedia entertainment aspects I'm guessing they will keep their main consoles for another few years yet.
Astron
But Jonny till then the 3rd parties will already be busy developing for the WiiU, when the others announce their consoles next year it will be very likely another year till they launch, maybe longer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.