help - search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PSN buggered
fmforums > discussion forums > gaming
Pages: 1, 2, 3
ic1male
Valued PlayStation Network/Qriocity Customer,

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this intrusion, we have:

1) Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2) Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full and complete investigation into what happened; and

3) Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our network infrastructure by re-building our system to provide you with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity passwords and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence that credit card data was taken at this time, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, to be on the safe side we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email, telephone, and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email, asking for your credit card number, social security, tax identification or similar number or other personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information, you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them, as well.
To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant to review your account statements and to monitor your credit or similar types of reports.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please check www.eu.playstation.com/psnoutage should you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Network Entertainment and Sony Computer Entertainment Teams

===============================================================

Jonnycondom
amazing lol_2.gif
ic1male
Edited first post to reflect seriousness of condition. Oops.
KernowKid
Thought that this wasn't a simple intrusion, much much more to it than that.

The delay in recovering has been indicative of something major. Seems core elements have been compromised.

Could still be several days before it gets back online.
John84
This has annoyed Matt greatly. He wants to play MK online so badly it's funny.
ic1male
I don't like the idea of the secret question/answer being compromised. That could get you in to all manner of other websites. sad.gif I guess I ought to go and change all my passwords.
mikes
handy FAQ from Kotaku.

The BIG PSN Outage FAQ
How long has PSN been down?
The system went down last Wednesday, April 20th. (That's six days if you're keeping score.)

When will it be back?
No one really knows, not even Sony. Current rumors suggest that PSN may be going back online in Japan today (4/25), with the US and Europe coming back tomorrow. (4/26)

Can I play games without going online, either by myself or with a friend locally?
Absolutely. Almost every PS3 game, whether it's played via disc or download, will work so long as you're using a mode that doesn't require PSN access. (That's internet multiplayer, mostly.) There is a small exception to this, which I'll explain a little later.

What about using a LAN?
Sure, a setting up a little LAN party would be a great alternative. The only problem is that the selection of LAN-capable PS3 games is pretty limited.

Is Anonymous responsible?
Probably not. The group has publicly denied their involvement, and there has been no definitive proof to say otherwise.

So why are they being arrested?
They aren't. The rumor is based on an old press release from January.

If the network was hacked, should I be worried that someone is stealing my credit card number?
Sony has said that they are investigating whether or not any credit information was stolen. As of now, they haven't said anything about the status of that investigation. So far there have been no credible reports of identity theft connected to the shutdown.

Some games use digital rights management to prevent piracy. Will that affect my ability to play?
As of now, the only games that we know to be affected are a pair of Capcom downloadable games, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 and the Final Fight/Magic Sword game pack.

So I can't play any games online or use PSN. Can I still use non-game PSN apps like Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc?
Nope. No game modes, apps or DLC connected to either PSN or Qriocity are currently available.

UPDATE: As you can tell from the comments section, we are getting conflicting reports on whether or not Netflix is actually working at the moment. Many commenters and forum-goers have claimed that they've been using Netflix for days, often noting that the service doesn't always connect right away, but starts up on the second or third try.

What about features like the browser, which use the internet, but aren't connected to PSN?
Users have reported via forums that the PS3 browser still works.

Can I still get system updates?
The system update feature is not connected to PSN and is therefore functional. (Ever notice that you have to sign out of PSN to download an update?) Users can still also download system updates via the Playstation website.

Is there a chance my trophies could get wiped?
Trophies will not update as long as PSN is down, but since most of them are not internet-based, it's likely (but not definite) that the trophies that you earn during the shutdown will be added to your account when it updates once PSN is back online. If you were to delete your account or if your console were to crash, however, you would definitely lose any trophies earned while PSN is down. Currently, it is not possible to check trophies via the Playstation website.

Will I lose my saved game data?
Not likely, your saved game data is stored on your hard drive, and therefore should not be affected by the outage.

Am I more likely to lose my data if I've been using the cloud storage feature of
Playstation Plus?
No. While you definitely aren't able to update any data you've saved in the cloud, the cloud data is technically a copy of whatever was saved from your machine, so even if the back-up data was lost your save would still be in tact on the machine where it was originally recorded.

Sources:
The Official Playstation Forum
NeoGAF
PS3Trophies.Org
IGN
ic1male
All these videos are coming in thick and fast now. lol_2.gif

phoenix87
Boo! I just want to get back to kicking ass on uncharted 2 sad.gif.

Anyway, you can use this ----> http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/1163788 to see of it's back up or not smile.gif
ic1male
FMF Image
Jaylocutus
This is slightly funny for me on 2 levels. Personally the last time I tried to buy something, some months ago it wouldn't allow me to enter my card details so I had to use a voucher to buy things on the store, I know this also happened to someone else as well.

Professionally I deal with the film side of the PSN and they haven't said anything to us about the issues despite it being all over the news and me receiving the original post email, they're acting like things are working as usual haha.
ic1male
The PSN issue continues to trundle along, picking up rumours and creating doubts and fears along the way. Sony look set to finally address those fears and hopefully give their customers some more concrete indication of the network’s schedule of return with a press conference tomorrow.

Kazuo Hirai is to talk to the world’s press at the conference in Japan tomorrow at 2PM, local time (that’s 6AM in the UK or 1AM, EST). It is obviously unknown what Kaz will say but we’d expect some further (or at least more detailed) information about exactly what was compromised, how it was stored and a more detailed road map for switching on what we hope will be a new and improved service.

The PSN hack and subsequent downtime has made international news, doubtless damaging Sony’s reputation as well as its stock price. Hopefully this press conference is the first step towards regaining consumer trust and keeping a more regular and informative communication with their consumers.

Source: Reuters

Not sure how accurate that is - a press conference on a Sunday?
KernowKid
QUOTE(Jaylocutus @ Apr 29 2011, 02:32) *

Professionally I deal with the film side of the PSN and they haven't said anything to us about the issues despite it being all over the news and me receiving the original post email, they're acting like things are working as usual haha.

Qriocity's three services,
VOD powered by Qriocity,
Video on Demand* and
Music Unlimited*
are still down, have just checked.

* - Sony products enhanced versions.
Savage
I hope their welcome back compo isnt just some playstation home avtars-Some free DLC or rental movies would be good

Still rather it be down longer but returned stronger then having my details stolen again...not that I plan on changing my birthday or nme any time soon
ic1male
It's supposed to be in the region of £15 worth so it might be a full PS3 game that you can get on the store like Borderlands or ACII.

Savage
Damn I have them...maybe £15 of uncharted 3...wishful thinking
KernowKid
... some developments tonight on the Qriocity side of this debacle, the framework for the services is back up now, however there is still no content available.
When I've checked before the servers were unobtainable.
phoenix87
Has anyone got details on the full compensation thingy yet? I can't find a press release or anything yet sad.gif
Savage
They havent confirmed, but includes 30 days of plus and if you was on the music thing, 30 days of that.

Have to wait and see what else
KernowKid
Internet Anarchist movement 'Anonymous' now suspected by Sony .....

see here ……..

BLOG.US.PLAYSTATION.COM
04-May-2011 @ 21:58
ic1male
Here we are two weeks later and still absolutely zero sign that anything is happening. Brink's coming out in 7 days. mad.gif:
Mister R
Yeah I wasn't hugely bothered at first although I am now getting increasingly annoyed.
matt91
This is why PS2 is where it's at! None of this online rubbish bleh.gif
ic1male
It's doing wonders for my gaming addiction. I've played bugger all lately.
Corius
Is there even any update? It's getting slightly ridiculous now.
ic1male
Today's update said it won't be on this week (as they assured us on 1st May) but now probably 16th May or thereabouts. I know one thing for certain - when my PS3 breaks (as it will invariably do at some point) - I am not getting another!
KernowKid
I've been monitoring the Sony Support boards on another issue, I am as a result beginning to think that Sony itself is in a much more serious state following the Earthquake. I also believe that key operations have been switched to resolving the issues relating to that and little else.

This PSN issue has come like a bolt out of nothing and has an already damaged company infrastructure reeling. I get the impression that this outage will go on for weeks, not days more.
ic1male
Interesting, KK. What do you think the earthquake has done?

I was previously under the impression that the data centre was in Tokyo so thought that the earthquake had wrecked something but it appears it's actually in San Diego, CA so there shouldn't be any damage to the actual hardware that runs the network.

I seriously just hope they are not withholding bringing the PSN back just to bring Qriocity and Sony Online Entertainment back with it. I know of no-one that uses Qriocity!
craigle
I hope it comes back on soon, its a bad blow for Sony

We are having soo many customers trade in there PS3's now at work for 360s. cant blame them really as it is a more solid machine. But still
KernowKid
My take is that several key suppliers have had their facilities wiped out, it seems that the Japanese hi tech workhorse plants were in coastal Honshu and this has disrupted the supply chain majorly.

Sony management have concentrated on resourcing replacement suppliers and tooling up these plants, in addition the power cuts have disrupted industry in general.

Very few support issues are being addressed as the frustration being shown on the Sony UK boards reveals. An example being their new Freeview HD PVR has a number of issues which normally would have been resolved in final testing, which I suspect simply hasn't been done and the product rushed to market.

As I intimated above it seems that the infrastructure for Qirocity is present again, but nothing is available to watch or listen to. Think of a store being gutted and refitted, but no locks on the doors and no stock being available.

Let's hope it's all sorted soon.
phoenix87
Here is what our compensation will be smile.gif

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a3...mpensation.html

I assume if you have two seperate PSN accounts, you'll be able to get all the psp games...but they will probably be pants.

And here's another update about when we'll actually get the PSN back

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a3...eturn-date.html
ic1male
Kaz Hirai should resign. I want his head! lol_2.gif
CherryBoomBoom
Was trying not to login till after exams, but I HAD to post this.
It was Nintendo.
mikes
lol_2.gif

Sony have another bad omen hanging over them... no one is buying PlayStation games on their PlayStation phone.....

With them seemingly pumping a lot of money into PlayStation branded tablets... It seems like it's dead in the water already.
ic1male
It's not so much the downtime that's getting on my tits (well it is) but it's their total lack of time management.

"Oh, we'll have it back in a few days."
"Oh, it'll be up with a week."
"Oh, we need a few more days."
"Fuck it, we're just going to sell 3DTVs from now on."

In an ideal word, MS and Sony would just combine their network so one log in for both platforms. Sony would use the Live system but MS would swap the achievements for trophies. Trophies are much better. Nicer to go for a gold trophy than 50 points or whathaveyou.
mikes
Then Nintendo take over the world.

Again.

bleh.gif
ic1male
No, they go back to selling hanafuda, dear boy. wink.gif
mikes
Rude.

Nintendo's success is built on games not 3DTVs and mobiles or Personal Computing bleh.gif

I genuinely feel sorry for you PSN users though... It must be awful and for me, it's a clear sign that games should not always be integrated with an online component that determines play... whether this is DRM or having it connect to servers in order to play.
ic1male
I think there's only two games (both from Capcom) that are unplayable (won't even load) without PSN. And ironically, they're the ones moaning most about lost revenue from having no PSN store. lol_2.gif

As for servers, I think there's only a handful of games that require online for gameplay - M.A.G., Warhawk to name a couple. Despite my hatred for it, I find internet online multiplayer highly addictive. I can tell you this - as soon as PSN comes back on and I start playing Killzone 3 again, my controller will be almost smashed after ten minutes when I inevitably go into rage mode. lol_2.gif It's been quite a stress free time these past three weeks. I've done more exercise than I've done in three years! lol_2.gif
Mister R
Reports doing the rounds that developers once again have access to PSN which would suggest that it'll be back up and running sooner rather than later.
Corius
I wonder if it will be disclosed as to how many peoples account information was compromised.

I want it back now, I want my playstation store disgust1.gif

I've been on my xbox... it doesn't feel right.
Savage
Thats because the Xbox is dirty
Tiuri
Sony have now released a new firmware thumbsup.gif
ic1male
And the PSN is back on in some regions. Here's Hirai-san with the announcement...

KernowKid
Qirocity services are still not restored at time of posting.
Corius
Updating biggrin.gif
ic1male
QUOTE(KernowKid @ May 15 2011, 12:57) *

Qirocity services are still not restored at time of posting.

I think you're the only customer for that, KK. hug.gif We all want our online gaming! laugh.gif
Corius
Ok almost an hour... and only at 38%....
ic1male
QUOTE(Corius @ May 15 2011, 13:52) *

Ok almost an hour... and only at 38%....

Fail. shaky.gif

Mine did it in five minutes flat.
Corius
Just hit 44% .... le sigh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.